books,crafts,decorating

Thursday, June 26, 2008

And Ladies Of The Club by Helen Hooven Santmeyer

Well, I started my tomb! This book is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 pages long. It begins in the middle 1800s right after the Civil War, and goes on through the process of getting electricity in homes and cars on the roads.

At present they all have a horse and buggy to get them where they want to get and do things like "call" on one another each day. That means that the women get all dressed up and go visit with the other ladies in town. They have "cards", like our business cards, only they are just cards with their names on them. They didn't have telephones yet so this was a necessary routine to keep in touch with your friends. That and church on Sunday and prayer meeting on Wednesdays.

I so enjoy reading about this period in history. Even books of fiction are full of reality and one gets a look into life during an earlier time. In the main ways, people are still the same, but there were a whole different set of social rules that they lived by back then. It's quite eye opening.

I wasn't going to do a book review on this because it's such a big book and will take me a long time to read it. I guess, though, that I could come back and periodically update you on what is happening with the ladies of the club. I could take you all on the journey with me. =)

Until next time,

Mary

0 comments: