books,crafts,decorating

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Value of the Classics

I have blogged about Pearl S Buck before, but feel that this author is worthy of mention on a regular basis to make sure people consider reading her books.

I have several first editions by Ms. Buck and have read them all. It's been many years since I read most of them, though, so am going to go back and read them again. In the 20 or so years since I read Pavilion of Women, for example, I have grown and changed. I'm not the same person I was then, so will look at the story through new eyes.

More recently, I read the "House Of Earth" trilogy by Ms. Buck. I you only get "The Good Earth" and read it, you will be richer for the experience. It is the first novel in the trilogy, and gives us a heart wrenching look into what life is like in other countries. Her novel takes place in the 1930's, but sadly, the conditions that she writes about in China in the 30's, still exist in countries recently in the new for earthquake and cyclone disasters. It's hard to believe that there are countries today that are still under such oppression and whose people live in a state of unbelievable poverty.

I truly think that "The Good Earth" should be required reading in High Schools. Our young people need to learn these lessons of what life has been and is like for others. A sense of outrage at the inhumane way human beings live and are treated in other countries should burn in the hearts of us all.

I highly recommend Pearl S Buck's books to you all and hope that for summer reading you will consider her books as well as other classics. There is much to learn from all of them.

Until next time,

Mary

0 comments: