books,crafts,decorating

Monday, May 26, 2008

"2nd Chance" by James Patterson Commentary

"2nd Chance" is another in the "Women's Murder Club" series. In this novel, our heroine, Lindsay Boxer of the San Francisco, Ca police department is once again at the top of her game. As always she is joined by her friends and support group, Jill who is assistant D.A., Claire who is Medical Examiner, and Cindy who is a reporter assigned to crime desk of the San Francisco Chronicle.

The ladies of the club have a sharp shooter serial killer on their hands who appears to be a member of a white supremacy group. The victims all lead back to the police department, as they are either on the force or beloved family of past policemen. Someone is targeting the families of their own and that gets the S.F.P.D. on edge.

The novel takes some twists and turns and our author once again takes us on a ride of uncertainty. As a woman, I found myself holding my breath when our heroine goes into a maximum security prison to interview one of their most vicious killers. Although they have this thug chained and guards standing at the ready with tazer guns, we know that if she gets too close he could still hurt her easily. She has been warned to not get close.

"2nd Chance" has a surprise ending and kept my interest, but I didn't feel that it was as good at "1st to Die" or "Along Came a Spider". I'm growing a little weary of the characters so am not sure I will read any more of the "Women's Murder Club".

I would still highly recommend this author's books for entertainment and "page turn-ability", though.

I just started a new Michael Connelly mystery and will let you know what I think of it. I have read other books by this author and have enjoyed them all. My husband Gary really liked this novel, so that's one vote so far.

Until next time,

Mary

0 comments: