books,crafts,decorating

Monday, April 14, 2008

Scrapbooking: You Can Too!!!

Readers, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Penny. She lives in Southern California and is a scrapbooker. She has agreed to write a few articles on scrapbooking for you and to share some of her work in pictures as well. Here is her first article, and a picture of her very FIRST album. Imagine! This is her first try!


"How I Became a Scrapbooker. You Can Too!"
By Penny

Growing up I never felt that I had any artistic flair, or that I was in any way "crafty". In grade school, and even in later years I would cringe when it was time to do any sort of art project. I always felt my talent in this area came up short, and it made me feel inferior. My problem was that I was constantly comparing myself to others.
Then, many years later I was introduced to scrapbooking. A close friend of mine was having a scrapbook party. Oh yikes, I thought. I loathed parties, whether they be Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Princess House or the like. I was never one of those women who just loved to get together with other women to discuss such things, let alone ooh and aah over all those ridiculous products. I felt that I should attend the party to support my friend who would benefit in the way of free products once her party receipts were tallied. How bad could it be? I went and decided I would try to show some enthusiasm.
Once at the party, wouldn't you know we were all give mini-kits to make our own scrapbook page and show our artistic and creative sides. Here we go.Yikes once again. I was a grown woman, married, and still self-conscious. I forged ahead and attempted to make something halfway decent out of this kit I was given. Looking back, I realize that the pressure I felt to perform actually inhibited my creativity, and what I produced that day was nothing short of dismal. The other women, I felt, were producing gorgeous creations, showing great imagination and ability. I did what I could, pretending to enjoy what I was doing. I finished my page, purchased a couple of products as a favor to my friend, and headed home. What was I thinking? Scrapbooking was way too complicated for me, not to mention much too intimidating.
Fast forward about five or six years. I'd just had my son Christian and it became my heart's desire to create lasting keepsakes for him that he could have for years to come and show his own family one day. What was I to do? I had no choice but to take the plunge once again and give scrapbooking another try. Deep down I felt that when done in the right way, it could be a fun and beautiful way to capture, save,and organize mine and my husband Dino's precious memories with Christian. I knew deep down that even I, the artistically challenged, could do it.
I decided that venturing out into scrapbook territory alone would be the best way to go. If I failed, then who would know? No loss. No big deal. I located a nearby scrapbook store and mustered up my courage. I was going in. In my head I was playing that old Helen Reddy song "I Am Woman" over and over again. I had to, if I was going to do this. I wanted to make it light and humorous, with no pressure. I was just going to give the place a look - see. My first visit to that store can only be described with one word - overwhelming. There was so much stuff in that store, that one barely had room to walk, let alone shop. I quickly cleared my head, took a deep breath, and decided I would start with the basics. On that visit my only goal would be to locate, choose, and purchase a scrapbook album. I knew I wanted it to be big, as I had a about a bazillion baby photos accumulating at home. I knew when I saw it that I had found the one for me. It was for baby, with soft pastel colors, and I thought it was just perfect. I felt absolutely victorious as I left the store. I had taken the first step! I actually had the scrapbook album in my hands, and since it wasn't in any way a cheap purchase, I knew I had no choice but to keep going. I was going to be a scrapbooker no matter what it took. I was determined.

0 comments: