books,crafts,decorating

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hardanger 101

I'm from Minnesota where the art of Hardanger is a favorite of everyone. In Minnesota, if you don't do Hardanger yourself, you wish you could. The finished product, as you can see, makes even the smallest piece a treasure to hand down to generations to come.

This particular piece was made for me by a dear friend who lives in Minnesota. She and I grew up together and she, like this piece of hardanger that she made for me, is a cherished treasure.

A couple of years ago I took up Hardanger too, and found that it isn't hard to do, though, it takes a great deal of patience and practice.
The piece I have pictured here is very advanced, and I would highly recommend that as a beginnner, you choose something small and simple for your first project. http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com/hardanger-needlework.html
The above link has great beginner's projects, easy instructions, as well as a list of everything you need to get you started. What a great site!!

Some words of advice, you need good light for this needlework. A chair by a window would be perfect. The pattern in lesson one calls for 22 thread count. If you can't see the stitches easily on that fabric, go to an even looser woven fabric. Make it easy on yourself and your eyes. The object of any craft is to be able to enjoy doing it. Consider getting a crafters magnifying glass if your eyes are easily strained, as mine are.

I'm as close as your computer, so email me at mary1440@gmail.com if you have any questions. I'd love to see your work, so consider taking a digital picture of what you make and send it to me.

Happy stitching,

Mary

0 comments: