books,crafts,decorating

Monday, February 11, 2008

"The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters Commentary

I love to eat someone else's cooking, but think that Alice Waters' " The Art of Simple Food just may get me into my kitchen eagerly making "simple" things.

A friend of mine was given "The Art of Simple Food" as a gift, and went on and on about it. So, I did some research, read reviews, and now I can't wait to get my own copy of her book. I really like the idea of eating locally grown, seasonal foods, and fully agree that we Americans need to stop importing our foods. We have no controls over what is used on or in imported foods, and the recent contamination scares are a testimony to what can happen.

Alice Waters makes cooking and eating a celebration, yet the simplicity of her recipes and techniques remind me of a simpler time. A time before fast food, and ordering in. Times when kids did their homework and visited with mom while she prepared dinner so that it would be ready when dad came home. Times when meals were a family event. TVs went off, happenings of our day were shared, jokes were told, trips planned, and problem solving was not allowed until after dinner. (Bad for the digestion, you know!)

After I get her book, I'll report back in with you with a full review. Until then, I'm pondering planting a "victory garden" this summer, loaded with every vegetable that we love. Gary and I could easily be vegetarians and often buy a huge package of frozen mixed veggies and have that covered in cheese as our evening meal. Excellent, easy, filling, and good for the diets we're both always on.

Until next time,

Kitnet




0 comments: